Recently Hawaii has made the decision to put a ban on sunscreen products that are harmful to coral reefs, i.e. sunscreen that contains oxybenzone. While the ban will not come into effect until 2018, it is becoming pertinent for users to switch to mineral, rather than chemical based sun protection. Oxybenzone has incredibly toxic effects on the young coral – it causes endocrine disruption, DNA damage and the death of coral. The use of chemical sunscreens can also result in the bleaching of coral and tragic loss of the stunning colours that the reefs are renowned for. These colours are not only beautiful and a tourism jackpot, they are also what keeps coral reefs alive. Corals are made up of soft-bodied animals called polyps. Within the polyps is a form of algae that uses photosynthesis to provide the coral with nutrients and life. When the oxybenzone in sunscreen makes the coral sick it evicts the algae living in it causing the coral to both lose its colourful features and its life.